Monday, November 3, 2008

And, considering the school I go to, Nathanael's initial question is that much more evocative.



I spent some time with Cotton Mather this weekend. His commentary on John is set up as a series of questions and answers, and I came across one that I really liked. Nathanael has always been one of my favorite New Testament figures—skeptical, funny, and forthright ("Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth?").

Q. 26 Why does our Lord, in his Commendation of Nathanael, rather use the Name of Israel, than the Name of Jacob? Hee said, Behold an Israelite indeed! v. 47.

A. The commendation here given to Nathanael is, that hee was, Without guile. Now Jacob, whose very Name carries a Supplantation in the Signification of it, oftentimes did use much Guile in his Affairs, none of which Guile wee find used by him, after hee came to wear the Name of Israel. It was most proper then, that Nathanael, when applauded for Sincerity, should have his Name fetch’d from Israel, rather than from Jacob. You must note, That Nathanael had newly been in a mistake about the Messiah; but our Lord seems to excuse the mistake, from the Sincerity of the Man. A mistake in a man, who with Sincerity always aims at the Truth, is very Excusable with all Reasonable Men.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see Rick Kennedy has been spreading the virus. I'm looking at this very moment for the source of this annotation. The closest seems to be Lightfoot's Harmony, but Lightfoot doesn't refer to Jacob, I don't think....