Wednesday, June 17, 2009

UC Berkeley Forestry Camp: 9 June 2009.



We drove four hours north into the Sierra Nevadas last Monday to join our nature study and conservation class for five days. We did our longest hike on our first full day in case the weather turned suddenly. We started at Silver Lake, just outside of the town of Quincy.



We hiked a 1.6-mile trail and learned new species along the way. We had just finished discussing the process of glaciation in the camp classroom that morning, so it was exciting to see the effects of it as we walked.



I found a little frog by the stream that is fed by the lake.





Our destination was Gold Lake, a freezing blue glacial tarn.



Steph and I are intrepid travelers. We fared well.



We had lunch by the lake and admired the view. The camp provided lunch materials at breakfast so that we could pack them and take them with us every day.



Butterflies fluttered everywhere.



Our class of 25 wending along the trail



Back at the trailhead, I found a nifty lizard and log.



After the hike, I had a lot more energy than I thought I would. So when our teacher's assistant asked if anyone wanted to check out the camp waterfall, I was more than glad to.



We could get in if we wanted to, so of course I had to. It was freezing. Not like cold-shower freezing. More like suck-your-breath-and-panic freezing. I waded through and climbed up on the mossy rocks anyway. It was beautiful, after all.



I was seriously so cold. I was glad Steph was there to warm me up.

No comments: