Tuesday, September 30, 2008

29 September 2008.



The nice thing about attending events under the guise of a journalist is that it gives me a purpose to be there. I don't feel like I'm wasting time, because I'm getting something done, and I have a way to occupy myself while I'm there. It forces me to pay attention, which is helpful because I swear my attention span is shorter than it used to be. I have to view the event as a story, and I have to write things down and get reactions, and it just becomes a very enriching experience all around.



I had actually read about this play in the Union-Tribune a few weeks ago, and was really interested. Then, a group from PLNU decided to go, which meant I had company and transportation. I felt super fortunate; I've been to more plays in the last two weeks (two) than I went to all last year (one). Plays appeal to me in so many ways. Good actors suck you in and engage with you far better than a movie or television show could ever hope to. The dynamic immediacy of the stage demands the attention of all your faculties. Unlike the critical eye and sometimes envy with which I read literature, I have no pretensions of acting, so I'm able to sit back and fully be a member of the audience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the alliteration in the first sentence of the Apartheid review. Both articles were intriguing pieces.

Do you think you will eventually take one of Prof. Gates' classes? He seems to be a force on the campus. His name came up a lot in the Point Weekly articles.