Friday, September 26, 2008

The best thing that's ever happened to me, part II.



So there was this guy who lived during the 1600-1700s named Cotton Mather. He played an important role in the development of our country, Salem witch trials, etc. Well, the professor whose book I edited last year is transcribing volume 8 of Mather's largest unpublished work, the Biblia Americana, and he asked me to copy edit it.

Apparently Mather was incredibly prolific, publishing more than 200 books during his lifetime, The Biblia Americana, or American Bible, is more than 4400 pages long. My professor is working through John and Acts. He's actually quite the expert; he's flying to Germany next month to present a paper on the guy at the Tubingen School. No one has ever ventured to publish this massive commentary until now; the Massachusetts Historical Society assembled this project.

So I have a CD of photographs of the original documents and a freshly printed manuscript. Freshly printed manuscript. Mmmm.

3 comments:

barefootkangaroo said...

Ha ha! Mmmmm, indeed! Very exciting!

Paul said...

congratulations! And thanks for the memories!

(If you're wondering why Cotton Mather should be such a fond memory for me, I've blogged about your post on beyondbrussels.blogspot.com)

Kaitlin said...

Thank you! How funny that we had such a parallel experience with Mather. I've just finished the prologue to his commentary on Acts; three-hundred-year-old handwriting makes for a tough read sometimes...