Friday, March 7, 2008

Because it's true—I really don't have anything better to do than to make stuff and take pictures of it.

Since I'm on a strict "don't do anything strenuous" plan, I decided to do something productive. So, for the past few days, I've been trying to conquer the beast that is the sewing machine. I haven't quite mastered it yet, but I think we do have a healthy respect for each other now.



I started out with a sleep mask. It's kind of crude, but it works. It should make a comforting addition to dorm life. Note my freshly trimmed bangs and poor, swollen left cheek (apparently Dr. Pulsipher had to dig deeper than he thought on that side).



Then, after trolling Internet craft sites (my favorites: http://www.instructables.com/, http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/, www.craftzine.com/blog), I became enamored with the idea of a traveling tea holder and decided to use my scrap fabric to attempt it.



I guess it's relatively practical. The school caf has a hot water spout, but only generic black tea bags, so I can see myself packing some of the mango or cranberry I've got stashed in my room.



Finally, I got ambitious and tried for a shoulder bag. It took me the better part of the day, but at least I didn't have to think about my mouth too much.



So it's not like this week has been a total waste, I think. I wish I could figure out how to adjust the tension on the sewing machine, though. That purse could use some serious topstitching. . .

No comments: