Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 1: Kaitlin and Daniel do central California and a little bit of Mammoth.



We left mid-morning, ready for hours and hours of driving excitement.



We met my friend Emily for lunch in her hometown Palmdale, catching up on her end of college and beginning of career point in life. Sadly, we took no pictures with her (I hate being that awkward person who asks for pictures of inauspicious occasions, but always regret it later anyway). We did get a picture of the awesome rocks that line the highway on the way out of Palmdale.



There were a lot of fantastic rock formations on this leg of the trip.



And a lot of flat land. I started getting a little antsy with all the flatness. Daniel mocked me for being overwhelmed by the sublime. I told him there was nowhere to hide.



I did pass this oasis with care.



The mountains rose higher as we neared Mammoth.



We stopped by a bona fide earthquake fault and peered into the unnerving blackness of the little crack.



No comments: