Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 8: From Mammoth to Sacramento, and a summer Winters wedding.



We left Daniel's parents and brothers in Mammoth early Saturday to make the journey to the wedding of our friends Jeff and Angela. We paused by Mono Lake for a little breather before the long haul.



Daniel let me drive stick for a while under his careful guidance. I felt bad that I couldn't shoulder more of the driving on this trip, but me driving stick was way more tiring for both of us than having Daniel behind the wheel for most of it.



We passed through Lake Tahoe and through untold miles of mountain roads. It was a long drive. There were a lot of trees. I realized how citified I've become. I used to spend whole summers in the mountains and leave wanting more, but one week in the wilderness now made me crave buildings, cityscapes, people. I started snapping pictures of the edge of Sacramento as soon as we passed Placerville, out of sheer joy. Metropolitan living has ruined me for rural life.



Of course, once we hit the city I wanted nothing more than a cup of coffee. We drove through downtown Sacramento, passed the Capitol building, and found this charming place courtesy of mobile Yelp.



Urban life tastes like dark coffee in a white ceramic cup.



Daniel and I changed quickly in the car on a dirt road among wineries (not recommended) and made it to the county park where the wedding was to be held in plenty of time. Barbara was bridesmaided and ready to go.



We grabbed some votive beeswax candles and helped with the finishing touches on the setup



Barbara had had a total of one hour of sleep the night before, so that she could finish knitting the groomsmen's ties. Best. bridesmaid. ever.



Angela and her father walking down the aisle.



Husband and wife. Daniel and I had spent many stimulating evenings with Angela and Jeff as part of a reading group Angela held in anticipation of theologian William Cavanaugh's visit to campus last semester. We were glad to be able to celebrate this next stage in their lives with them.



My dapper wedding date.



Daniel tested the photo booth that Ciera ran.



Seven hours in a car does beautiful things to your hair.



Daniel and I sat at the debate table, here with Ciera and Kim, waiting for our turn at the carne asada spread.



We danced under the stars. This is my "Oh look! You have a camera!" face.



All danced out.



We saw the couple off to their Duke University grad school adventures in theology, and headed up to Barbara's house for a couple of hours of sleep.

No comments: