Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Such great heights.



This week's campers didn't come in until Monday, so Sunday afternoon the most adventurous of us staffers hiked up to Suicide Rock. I'd been up a few times myself, but I'd always used Deer Springs Trail, a moderately inclining route. Isaac Shirley, however, knew of a shorter and less official way, so we scrambled up the makeshift climber's trail that rappellers and such have carved out over the years.



We got some striking views of Tahquitz as we rounded the rock face.



We reached the top much faster than I'd expected. Taking a rest, we spent some time admiring the elements of our usual world that we could identify. They took on an ethereal cast as we viewed them from the top, shimmering in the atmosphere: Mt. San Jacinto, Diamond Valley Lake, Idyllwild, and just visible to the north, Hemet.



We ambled down Deer Springs on the way back. The snowmelt was substantial enough this year to feed the creek with ample water.



We spotted a number of interesting specimens, besides the normal lizards and birds. Isaac caught hold of a baby woodpecker who had been scrambling along on the ground, and Rachel snapped a picture of the tiny rattlesnake that shimmied across our path.



Spirits were high the entire time. Chris toted his guitar up with him, and I thought he was crazy until he started playing on the way down. It was like we were in a movie with an expertly assembled soundtrack; his acoustic melodies floated along with us through the woods. Rachel and Shannon never flagged. I was proud of them; the first time I did that hike, I was seriously hating life until we reached the top. I don't know that I'd ever walked that much in my life. That was four years ago, though. This time, I was just settling into my rhythm when I realized we were already there.



Towards the end of the trail, Rachel, Shannon, and Isaac got into a manzanita apple fight. The sticky little berries looked really cute dangling in their hair.

2 comments:

Daniel Nadal said...

New camera? The pictures are a lot crisper/better than earlier ones. A fair amount.

... and to think, baby rattlesnakes are worse than adult ones. -- Looks like it was fun, though!

Kaitlin said...

Not according to Isaac . . . he insisted the baby ones are not significantly more venomous. Same camera, but my sister took some of the shots, so it could be her photographic prowess.