Tuesday, November 11, 2008

10 November 2008.



I spent Wednesday and Thursday combing the campus for people who would submit to a head shot and a quick quote regarding the election results. The only critique I got was that it was a little heavy on communication majors, but they were the ones who were most willing to talk...

The really interesting part of this week's paper, though, was the typos. Okay, here's your chance to play copy editor. As a warm-up, here's the headline that ran on our front-page piece: "Obama overcomes oppostion." Spot the error? I didn't until one of the editors pointed it out the next day.



It's in the fourth column. Go ahead and click on the picture to enlarge.

Catch it? Last line?

"Pubic Safety." Yeah. We keep all of the student body protected. In my defense, each story passes through at least three sets of eyes, and I'm only one of them. The rest of the paper was, in fact, error-free. I guess if we had to miss something, it might as well be something this perfectly terrible.

5 comments:

Steve said...

"The first man whose skin is not the same color as the place he is going to be living in moves to the White House..."?

Not exactly "Call me Ishmael," eh?

Kaitlin said...

Hey, I stand by it. There are only so many ways you can say "first black president"...

Daniel Nadal said...

See, the real question would be something along the lines of: what time on Sunday night did that article get turned in?

Kaitlin said...

Thanks for being on my side. We had to send the original back for clarification, and in retrospect, I probably should have edited the final version before we plugged it into the printout. I always go over the printouts, but it's harder to catch stuff that way...

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad -- our local newspaper ran a headline stating certain action would take place between 2008 and 20009. Quite a stretch in time.