Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Into the wild. Mostly for the mild temps.



Daniel had a day off, so he joined Rachel and me for a hike up Deer Springs Trail to Suicide Rock in Idyllwild.



The view at the top was spectacular, as always. After my desert adventure with my mom, I was super glad to do a hike that actually involved shade. The balmy mid-80s air was a welcome reprieve from our valley heat.



The hike is worth it almost for the view of Tahquitz Rock alone.



We enjoyed a leisurely lunch and ate up the scenery at the same time. I've done this trail, if memory serves me right, every summer for five years, and I'm always stunned at what is so close to home and yet worlds apart.



There was a fair flow of water running in the creek. Red bits of columbine and snow plant grew nearby.



I bored everyone with my newly gained nature knowledge: seriously, it is cool that some manzanita leaves grow straight up and down so that the sun does not hit them directly.



We had just enough energy to meet Angelica and Shannon in town afterward.

No comments: