Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Adventures in typography.



As we walked up to Filippi's in Little Italy last Saturday, I caught sight of this license plate frame and decided I had to take a picture. Apparently the owner's grammar is about as good as his driving skills.



I had further opportunity to poke fun as we stood waiting for a table. Filippi's always has a stream of patrons patiently lined up through the entrance, which doubles as a mini Italian grocery. You might have to click on the picture to see what I thought was so funny: the front of the seasoning advertises it as "An ancient Greek formula," but the ingredients on the back of the label include monosodium glutamate. Mmmm, MSG—food of the gods.

After we left, driving through downtown San Diego, I spotted an excellent street sign that I wish I had gotten a picture of. It originally said, "ONE WAY," but someone had added a "G" and an "A" to make "GONE AWAY." I'm not a big fan of defacing public property, but I can't resist a clever play on words.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Too funny. That is one of my pet peeves as well. It seems no one knows the difference between "your" and "you're." I think most people give up on trying to remember.