Friday, November 30, 2007

It's amazing what you can accomplish in 24 hours, when you only sleep for four.

So on my break Wednesday night, I discovered a voice mail from Josh and Lisa, who were down here at a Christian camping conference! They spent the rest of my library shift with me, and afterwards we went out with Steve Leader, RD of Goodwin Hall and good friend of Josh's brother, to Denny's, which was the only place we could get coffee (and pie!) at that hour of the night.



This is the only (terrible) picture I have, but that's what happens when you neglect your camera all night.

Well, I don't know how everyone else felt the next day, but I was strangely euphoric. Lisa was right--four hours of sleep, and I was golden. Well, okay, so maybe two traveler's mugs of coffee and one ibuprofen might have helped (this combination, incidentally, works better in tandem than either alone, according to a recent double-blind study--I don't take chances). I totally went to the 7:30 class that I detest, and the 8:30 class, and the 10 am class, for that matter. My 11 am was cancelled, so I lingered at lunch, then went to work and persisted with my prof's manuscript (it came back, and I have a lot to do, and it will be a great story when it's all over, I'm sure).

I worked until 5, then trudged over to Nease to retrieve the kitchen key that I had faithfully reserved earlier in the day. Well, the key was not there, and the RA couldn't get the master key to work, and it turns out the kitchen is on a different lock than the master is, so I tracked down the last person who had the key, but then the real key wouldn't open the door, and even though it was almost 6 and I should have started cooking at 5:30 and I had only had four hours of sleep and hadn't eaten since noon, I didn't say anything I would regret. I just found graciously reliable Elizabeth, and we hiked down to Young Hall, in the dark, with all our cooking accoutrements.

Everyone got the location change message in time, and we still served at 7. Dinner was delicious and amazing and enjoyable. Two of the girls who came had never had cabbage before, and a non-mushroom eater tried the ones that were in the peanut sauce. That's what I call success.



Peanut garlic chicken (white meat--what a concept, a concept the caf does not seem to understand...)
Steamed brown rice
Cabbage onion saute
Elizabeth's heritage apple crisp (Young style-- apparently pancake mix is an excellent substitute for flour)



When I told everyone how much (or rather, little) sleep I had had, they immediately insisted on taking care of clean-up. I enthusiastically accepted and took pictures instead.



And here is a picture of me after dinner, just because I have one and because I like my headband, aptly a gift from our Chinese exchange student, since after this I led a China World Civ study group from 9 to 10, for the exam we had today. I went to bed at 10:05.

2 comments:

lisa d said...

that's awesome! i wish that my day had been that productive. my four hours of sleep got me through the rest of the conference (much better, i'm sure, that six hours would have) but once we got into the car and started home i realized that i wasn't just tired, i had also hit my social limit. i took a nap as soon as i got home, then enjoyed twenty four hours of non-stop rain.

it was so great to see you and catch up. weekends around here have certainly not been the same without you!

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

dinner with josh, lisa, k-barr (hyphen) and steve leader?? envy....