Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Oh, good and bad, like everything, I guess.

So I'm really discouraged about my classes for next semester. I can't register until tomorrow, and one of the classes that I really wanted is already filled; a lot of the others are getting there. A girl I work with was nice enough to offer to register for the one course and then withdraw right before I could get on, saving the spot for me. But it was too late. It sucks to be a freshman.

To make myself feel better, I went jogging this afternoon. Apparently I self-medicate with physical exertion. It's unavoidably autumn around here, brown leaves and grey skies, the whole bit. But it's not bitterly cold - even in a tank top and yoga pants, it only takes a few steps to feel peachy warm.

I followed my new favorite route: a mile and three-quarters out and back along the point, down Catalina Boulevard into the naval base. Unlike a lot of Point Loma, the slope is gradual. I don't have to plunge suicidally down Hill St. - the street sign is missing at one end; apparently someone thought it was redundant - or hike back up on tiptoe halfway through.

A mile or so's steady pace out, and I am embraced by a naturally preserved ocean vista to the west and a sweeping view of downtown San Diego to the east. The Coronado Bridge spans the water and the landmass gently curves toward Mexico. Bucolic sailboats ply the bay. On a clear day, the picture is sharp and immediate. Today, it floated wistful and distant.

I jogged back, showered, ate dinner, and came to work. So maybe this melancholy is a bit of pathetic fallacy on my part. I just wish I could get into those classes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go talk to the professors. That is what Angelica did. She was on a waiting list. Do the have waiting lists?

Kaitlin said...

Oh, they definitely do. But the class I want is currently enrolled at: 50, with 48 spots available. I don't think I've much of a chance there.