Thursday, November 8, 2007

You're not going to believe this, but...

I got every single class I wanted. Every one. Life is good again.

Right before I left the library last night, I sent a half-hopeful e-mail to the Lit 203 professor whom I had been told myriad times by many people I needed to take, the same one whose 48 spots were occupied by 50 people as of mid-afternoon yesterday. That jarring sense of post-midnight incapability did not make a nice bedfellow.

Wired and nervy, I got out of bed an hour earlier than usual and compulsively checked my e-mail. Apparently a little bit of flattery goes a long way, because that professor had graciously and promptly responded, informing me that he had cleared me to register. The roiling tempest abated somewhat.

But I was still unsure about the rest of my schedule. I endured 7:30 am Old Testament and dropped by my World Civ professor's office to see if he had finished evaluating my edits (nope) before 8:30 am Spanish. After escuchando a that squawking woman for an hour, I bounded back to my dorm and switched books. I spent all of 20 minutes in Psych, making it to the library just in time for my 10:30 web registration.

I got into most of my classes, but two were blocked - their prerequisite is College Comp, but since I'm going to be in Honors Comp next semester, I haven't been able to take college-level English yet. Thus began the mad dashing.

I went first to find my academic advisor, the head of the Lit department, but his office was empty. Sighting some other English faculty nearby, I appealed to them, but all they could do was direct me to the course's professor, who, despite the office hours posted on her door, was absent. With some time left before my next class, I went to Student Relations to turn in my RA application. I checked back in the English department, again unfruitfully, then made my way toward Communication.

After sitting through five or six informative speeches, I resumed my search once more, and finally my persistence was rewarded. I corralled my advisor, had him clear me, and then asked him if I could register then and there on his computer. And just like that, the best schedule ever was created:

Elementary Spanish II - a different prof this time, one whose first language is English
Masterpieces of World Lit III - a core class! With the highly recommended professor!
Honors in College Composition - the one I qualified for with that test I thought I failed
Introduction to Music - super easy, and marked well on ratemyprofessors.com
Masterpieces of World Lit I - another core class! Who cares who's teaching it?
Newspaper Workshop - I've spent this semester checking it out; I'm making it legit now

And the crowning achievement: Tuesdays and Thursdays I begin at 8, but MWF I don't have to be anywhere until chapel at 9:45.

Then my small group leader brought burritos to our meeting this afternoon. I was giddy with relief and Mexican food, and I laughed harder than I have possibly since I've been here.

No comments: