Monday, January 21, 2008

Three-day weekend.

Friday: My mom had WASC training here in San Diego, so she and my grandma came down and visited me after I got off work. We found an Indian restaurant with an excellent buffet and feasted on lentil soup, tofu curry, cucumber raita, garlic naan, cabbage stir-fry, rice pudding--so, so good.

Saturday: It was gorgeous, just gorgeous. I ran in the morning, went to brunch, and wrote an essay in the afternoon. I made myself dinner in my room, then caught the campus shuttle to a cafe down on Rosecrans, where Madame Bovary and I shared a cup of coffee with the night.

Sunday: I went to church as usual, and then to brunch. Afterwards, unwilling and unable to hole up inside on such a day, I biked along Sunset Cliffs Blvd.



This is Hill St. As if you needed to be told that. It's actually taller than what you can see in the picture, but the angle obscures the top. The ride down is an unparalleled rush. The hike back up is not so fun.



This is how amazingly beautiful it was.



This is proof of me pausing to read a section of The Odyssey, by the sea, like my prof insisted we do.



The water was so clear at points, I could see starfish in the tide pools, even from so high up.

That evening, I spent time with some girls on my hall.



A couple of them had friends from other schools visiting, and later that night, they let me tag along out to dinner and dessert.



Today: I went for a run, ate brunch (after three days in a row, eggs and salsa start to get real old), read more of The Odyssey, and went to dinner. Now here's the thing. To understand what I'm saying, you need to understand this. I told myself I wouldn't post any more lonely soliloquies. But maybe my expression in that picture gives me away. I spent a lot of the weekend alone; even when I wasn't literally, I still figuratively felt it. And here came the best part of my weekend: the hour I spent after dinner in the newspaper office, editing articles and talking to the staff. Some laughing conversation and some kind words about the articles I wrote this week, and I was content with the world.

2 comments:

ray-chill said...

wow thats awesome about the weather i wish i was there

Anonymous said...

I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude. We are for the most part more lonely when we go abroad among men than when we stay in our chambers.

~Henry David Thoreau, "Solitude," Walden, 1854