Monday, February 4, 2008

What's grey and white and read all over?

It rained a lot on Sunday, but it looked really beautiful while it was doing it.



Friday night I went out with the newspaper editors for pho (Vietnamese beef noodle soup with mung beans and mint) and frozen yogurt. Saturday I did productive things like laundry and homework. Sunday the rain prevented my hallmate and me from biking to church for the second week in a row. We got a ride from the couple who heads the college ministry. At the end of the service, though, the pastor announced that he's leaving in June to move to New Zealand and go into full-time missions. So sad! I was hoping he'd be here at least as long as I am. His second job as RD here on campus made me feel like his messages had special relevancy for me.



Sunday night I went in to help with the paper's final edits like usual and got to assist in compiling this week's center spread, with pieces like coherent definitions of a caucus and a delegate. Surprisingly, no one had heard of Slate.com before.

Storms are funny here on the coast. Instead of the curtains of showers that drenched my childhood in Cleveland, rain here most often comes in spurts, like someone is perched in the tree or on the building you're walking under with a hose and a thumb. Between the wind and the random splashes against my window, I didn't get much sleep last night. Four hours, tops. But when I woke up (strangely wired at 7 am, even though I didn't have to be anywhere until 9:45) the sky was clear, and so was my mind. I actually had a really good day, full of affirmation and spirited words. And I'm still conscious and coherent at 10:45 pm, as this post will attest.

No comments: