Sunday, April 6, 2008

Finding out what I'm capable of, and other things.

Awkward story time: A few weeks ago, I was sitting at the front desk of the library, doing some reading homework, when a guy who had said hi to me a few times before came up, and as I checked out his books for him, he started talking. I don't smile very much, he told me with a knowing, self-satisfied smile of his own. If I smiled more, he said, I could come with him to Balboa Park the next day. It was only after I declined as politely as I could that he thought to introduce himself or even ask me my name. Why a complete stranger would think I'd trust him enough to randomly go off with him is beyond me. I felt infinitely better about my own trip to Balboa yesterday.



I was lucky enough to find Scottish Heritage Day at the International Houses. I grabbed some shortbread and wandered around the booths.



I was wishing I could record the ensemble that was playing, and then I realized I could, even if it was just a little snippet.



I coasted through the park and eagerly took in the gorgeous day. Everywhere I looked seemed to ask to be photographed.



I could have spent all day in this garden.



I loved the visual pun here: underneath "The Beauty of Use," a beautiful statue doubled as a playground.



Riding over the Prado Bridge, I saw downtown San Diego rising out of the eucalyptus. The contrast between nature and city pleased me to no end, though I'm sure the cycling endorphins added something to that.



Continuing down my list of things I've always wanted to do, I looped downtown to Little Italy. I sat outside Filippi's and tasted the pastries that I've longed for so many times while waiting for a table there. The pine nut cookie and jam roll were good, but the best by far was this allspice cake coated in chocolate.

Altogether, I biked at least eighteen miles, definitely a personal record. I picked some wildflowers by the side of the road on the way home for my roommate, since her birthday is today. I thought I'd just chill out the rest of the night and do homework like the exemplary student that I am, but instead I got myself invited to a bonfire down on Shelter Island that some girls on my hall were giving for the birthday of one's boyfriend.



The best part of it was the view of the city across the water. The lights floated hazy through the blazing fire while we roasted marshmallows and made smores.



The night devolved into a game of Truth or Dare and "Never Have I Ever," then a post-midnight trip to Denny's. It was nice of my hallmates to let me tag along with them. I got to bed at two and still made it to church this morning. I had coffee, tea, and muffins, talked for a while with my biologist friend, and didn't find the trip back too strenuous. My quads were only aching a little by the end, but I'm sure it will all hit me tomorrow, especially after working at the newspaper tonight.

1 comment:

lisa d said...

i love that you are claiming san diego so completely. thanks for all the play-by-play- i feel like i've been down the mountain after this post :)