Monday, April 21, 2008

Seeking atmosphere on a Saturday afternoon.

There is a weekly magazine called The San Diego Reader that sits in piles at the door of most restaurants and stores around here, free to anyone who is willing to take a copy. Its copious advertising surely covers its printing costs. Inside one issue, I found a coupon for a free cup of coffee at a place called Cafe Bassam, and I decided to take them up on the offer.



The cafe turned out to be part antique shop, with lots of delightfully old things, jewelry and furniture with coffee rings and whatnot.



The obliging proprietor, an older man with an inscrutable foreign accent, refilled my complimentary cup twice while I waited for the "always fresh" pastries to come out of the oven. Some sort of walnut filling in the middle–so good.

It was a great place, perfect for reading for a class I'm not so motivated to read for. Whew. I am so close to finishing; I'm officially starting my countdown: school's over in eighteen days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i miss u