Thursday, April 10, 2008

Okay, so I'm not front page news . . . but I did write about it.



My first Point Weekly cover story! Super exciting, I know. Francis Collins headed up the Human Genome Project through its completion in 2003. The project gives scientists a blueprint of what a healthy genome looks like, so they can find the discrepancies that cause diseases and ideally, in the future, circumvent them. Collins is a major figure in the field of genetics, and he's also an evangelical Christian. He'll be at my school tomorrow night to speak on science and faith and how the two can peacefully coexist. No cognitive dissonance, if you know what I mean.



I also read his book, The Language of God, and wrote a review of it, but unfortunately the editor-in-chief considered it a conflict of interest to run both. I can't wait to see him; there's nothing like a science/faith forum on a Friday night . . .

2 comments:

Steve said...

Did your dean give examples of Collins' theological naivete? Did you find them in your reading of his book?

barefootkangaroo said...

Very interesting!