Monday, April 14, 2008

Riding and rewriting.

So Saturday was by far the most beautiful day of the year thus far. I woke up and opened my window, and the air outside was the same temperature as my room's. The water was bluer and more sparkling than it has been since October. I got some homework out of the way and jumped on my bike, intending to meet some hallmates at South Mission.



The girls ended up deciding they didn't want to brave the traffic and I couldn't blame them–coastal access was bumper to bumper. I just smiled as I coasted past the rows of cars.

So my afternoon turned into a personal cycling tour of Mission and PB. I stopped by my uncle's old street first.



It's almost unrecognizable now. The new condos look like they've been there forever. I walked down Mission Blvd. for a bit, picking up a pair of boardshorts marked down to five dollars on a rack outside a surf shop.



I wanted to lay out a map of the area in my mind, so I rode down to Grand and then cut over to Fanuel Park. I ate my lunch overlooking the bay.



Across the water is the bridge to Point Loma.

I circled the bay, then rode back to South Mission and read some world lit on the sand.

When I returned to campus, I still had enough time before the library closed to start my Sunday adventure–copyediting the entire Point Weekly solo. The regular copy editor took off with the news editor for a conference in Arizona this weekend, so I got my chance to try my hand at the job. I felt tentatively confident doing it, and my assurance was not unprecedented; aside from a few minor errors, it was a fairly clean paper. I did have to stay at the office until one, but the espresso brownies the editor in chief had brought helped somewhat.

No comments: