Friday, June 26, 2009

Marshes, marshes, marshes.



Steph showed me how to use the macro setting on my camera and my whole world changed. Not really, but the way I could record it did. Click on that photo above and enlarge it. I had no idea my camera was capable of such things.



Our next class field trip was a visit to a local salt marsh. If you look past the tule reeds in the foreground, you may spot a great blue heron trying to blend in. Salt marshes (estuaries, wetlands) are actually remarkable service areas for the natural world. They filter pollutants, act as flood protection, shelter young animals, and produce large amounts of nutrients. They filter so well that some communities are trying to establish wetlands to reduce pollution.



This is bur-reed, a plant our prof didn't know and which I looked up later. Super cool-looking.



A little island of white birds floated in the marsh.



We hiked out to where the stream flowed into the ocean. You can see the striated levels of plant life that line the edges of the marsh water.



Our group of 25 scared a lot of things, including this pretty little duck. We also saw some sort of fish that was so big and in water so shallow that we could see their backs breaking out of the water.



A fun group of pelicans paddled by.



The next day of class was spent entirely in the classroom, so afterward Steph and I visited the Lafayette Reservoir near where she lives.



I had fun watching some American coots swim around for a bit.

No comments: