Wednesday, June 24, 2009

U.C. Berkeley Forestry Camp: miscellaneous nature photos.



There were just so many things to take pictures of. Here is snow plant, a parasitic fungus that feeds on the trees under which it grows.



The camp had a little creek that flowed by a meadow where we measured such things as biomass.



Dogwoods flowered throughout the forest.



Little columbine drooped their heads downward.



Me and the cabins in which we stayed. They weren't heated, but they had closets, dressers, and desks, the beds had mattresses, and we slept two to a room, which was way more than I expected.



This is a type of fungal orchid. I love orchids, and the whole fungal thing just made them that much cooler.



The trees were so much larger than any trees I had ever seen in real life before. I spent a large part of our first day just marvelling.





The columbine again.



An iris.



A gooseberry that hasn't ripened yet.



It was so space-agey. I had never even heard of such a berry.





There were just so many little things to examine and admire. When we first drove up to the camp, all I saw was a forest. By the end of the week, I saw douglas firs and sugar pines and wood violets and columbines. It was such an expanding experience.

No comments: