Friday, August 24, 2007

I got a job at the library!

It was a lucky thing, too, because the original job posting asked for hours during which I would be in class. I e-mailed the head librarian anyways, hoping for but not expecting a response. She did get back to me a couple of weeks later, though, and the interview went well... so here I am, Point Loma's newest library assistant.

The job itself is as easy as I could have hoped. After some basic training, I spent an hour floating. I wandered down the aisles, mesmerized by the rows of books, intoxicated by the smell of imperceptibly decaying pages. Could it be that I was getting paid for this? Well, not exactly for perusing the fathomless sea of information, but for being there, pushing in chairs and reshelving books as I've done automatically from childhood, and looking friendly while checking out items to patrons.

The library floored me. Organized entirely by the Dewey Decimal System (a favorite saying of mine growing up: "The Dewey Decimal System is my friend."), it's astoundingly navigable. The first level holds the circulation desk and reference center, and it feeds out into four or five computer labs. A back room houses the beginning of the collection. The middle level is entirely books, with some study rooms. The top encompasses all that's left through 999, along with the school's Wesleyan Center for 21st Century Studies, plus an unparalleled view of the campus and, farther out, the ocean.

2 comments:

barefootkangaroo said...

They called me for a reference and I was unapologetically pro-Kaitlin...frothing at the mouth pro-Kaitlin...give that girl a job pro-Kaitlin!

I said "I know they only give you the names of people that like them, but I can say without reservation that she is one of the best emplyees we have ever had. You should hire her. Do yourself a favor and hire her. I mean it."

Oh yeah, I also told them that you had been the editor of our camp newsletter and blah blah blah.

I'm glad you got the job.

Kaitlin said...

Thanks Josh...I knew I could count on you.