Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Spontaneous me.

So I was dashing from chapel to World Civ this morning, calculating how I was going to choreograph lunch, my early afternoon shift, Spanish language lab homework, dinner, and my evening shift, when I realized I was surrounded by students milling pleasantly about Caf Lane, visiting folding tables strewn with beckoning candy and staffed with eager students. Ah, club day.

I was determined to sign up for at least one more (I attended the first meeting of the International Club last night) and I was also in the mood for a spiel. Catching an arousing title, "SIFE-Students in Free Enterprises," I skipped up and asked the boys behind the table, "So, what's your club about?"

They proceeded with an impassioned explication of their program, detailing how they bring in speakers to talk about economies in developing countries, and work with high school students to create a "micro-economy" in which they create businesses and compete for capital. I was interested, but not sure it was something I would necessarily be involved with. Looking for a polite exit (listening to the spiel inevitably implies obligation), I protested that I was "just a Lit major." But when they heard that, or really when they heard I want to edit, they brightened. "Would you want to help with e-mails and stuff? Be like a secretary?"

They explained that the girl in charge of those sorts of things could use help. I shrugged. Why not? So I guess I'm now assistant secretary, or something, for SIFE.

That was fun. So then I made my way through the rest of my day. I watched the sun set through the glass doors of the library, and now I'm still at the Circulation Desk, waiting for midnight.

No comments: