Tuesday, August 21, 2007

So my first class was at 7:30 am, but somehow the jazz music the professor had playing as we walked in made it better.

I knew I was going to like my Old Testament professor when he contrasted a deep, thorough understanding of the Bible with, "Ah luv mah Bible. Ah haven't read it, but Ah luv it." Asserting that ignorance is not worship, he made a convincing case for a scholarly approach to spiritual life. My sentiments exactly.

I had time for a scumptious natural peanut butter and organic fruit spead on sprouted barley bread sandwich (courtesy my parents, who bought me better groceries than I will probably be able to afford for the rest of my college career) before dashing off to Psych 101. An actual practicing therapist, my professor there spoke evenly and encouragingly as he laid out the coursework for the semester.

Next came Principles of Human Communication, which will basically be a public speaking class. I don't know how I feel about that. It's definitely going to stretch me. The professor is a high-achieving Point Loma grad who, while earning a graduate degree in Spain, found her husband there, too. She spent some years in the corporate world training workers to speak well, and now works full-time here. As a closing activity, she had us answer questions about the person next to us without talking to them, questions like "Where is he or she from?" and "What song is on his or her MySpace page?" My partner correctly guessed not only that I don't have a MySpace, but that I have a Facebook, with no music to be found. It makes me happy to think I don't look like a MySpace-y person.

After this, I spent my third straight hour of class in the performance hall with half the freshman class for the second part of Psych 101. Then, I got a sandwich at the Point Break Cafe and started my homework.

2 comments:

lisa d said...

can it be? a typo in the second paragraph? they must be wearing you plum out :)

Kaitlin said...

Ooh, good eye. I even reread that and didn't catch it.