Monday, August 27, 2007

I wish the dorm kitchen were accessible all the time.

Unfortunately, I can only get in it after 2 pm. They keep it locked, and while I fully understand the concept of the tragedy of the commons, I think that as adults paying to live here, we should have access to all aspects of the facility, all of the time.

Anyway. In an attempt to use what was available (ramen noodles) and perishable (eggs and butter- though the butter, according to the package, is good until January) for dinner, I visited my favorite cooking site, http://www.recipezaar.com/, and entered my criteria for a recipe. I love that site so much. I can't help gushing over it. It's ultra-navigable and includes foods from around the world. I almost always find a suitable way to use what I have on hand. This time was no exception.

With a little improvising I made out with a noodley sort-of-kind-of egg foo yung. I had retained some broccoli, carrots, and chives from lunch, and after sautéing those with the cooked noodles, I added the eggs- et voilà! A savory plateful that would have been at home on a table in the most authentic Chinese restaurant. I sat down with a cup of tea and my World Civ reading. But when I stuck my fork into the steaming bowl, I paused. There was no way I could eat it this way. I ran back to my dorm room and grabbed a pair of the chopsticks I'd bought for just such an occasion. Satisfied at last, I turned to my book and realized I was reading Pre-Modern East Asia: to 1800.

No comments: