Monday, September 29, 2008

On things going swimmingly.



Last Saturday I went with some friends to the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla. Student discount! I'm a big fan of jellyfish when they're behind six inches of Plexiglas.



I'm a big fan of moray eels, too. When my dad and I got scuba certified for my 12th birthday, we did our final dive out by those little islands you can see from campus on really, really clear days. There were seals everywhere, mouthing the bubbles that rose from our exhalations. As I studiously avoided the sea urchins that seemed to point their spindles from every crack and crevice, I spotted a moray eel and forgot to breathe for a second, despite my careful training. That distinctive grin and knowing look is unparalleled.



I just liked this one. I love how blue Ashley's eyes are.



Here's the entire group. I don't know how I ended up being the shortest person. The day was Steph's idea (on my left). Kudos to getting a bunch of college kids to do something.



I left with a strong desire to go snorkeling before the weather turns. But I think it might be harder to get a group of people to actually go in the water.

No comments: