Monday, January 3, 2011

Doing the zoo.


Angelica had given me two tickets to the San Diego Zoo from her internship, and these expired at the end of the year, so Daniel and I made sure to use them during finals week.


How much does Daniel look like this meerkat? These guys loved him—they ran up to him as soon as we walked over.


There were aviaries everywhere. I didn't remember there being so many birds. I hadn't been to the zoo for eight or so years, so it was almost like experiencing it for the first time.


The bonobos were quite . . . active. We watched, feeling a little voyeuristic peeking at such humanoid creatures.


I love okapi. They don't even seem like they should be real.


It was a grey and drizzly Thursday, so there were few crowds, and no line for the world-famous pandas. This was the most exciting thing the pandas did.


The mirrored door at the panda exhibit was more entertaining.


Daniel likes the polar bears.


I gleefully climbed on top of this prehistoric cat.


We spent quality time with the elephants.



Angelica observed this exhibit during her internship this summer, and as soon as Daniel and I walked up to it, my phone rang . . . and Angelica was calling. She didn't even know we were at the zoo. We enjoyed the confluence. I found the fake animals that, Angelica said, people from all over constantly thought were real.


Daniel and I happened upon an extended chorus from the African singing dogs. This might have been my favorite exhibit of the day.


I've never seen so much of the koalas. They were all over the place. And they brought me back to my early childhood, when my stuffed kangaroo and koala were my most prized possessions (the Ks, you know).



They may not be as cuddly and sweet as they seem to be, but what animal is?

No comments: