Sunday, January 30, 2011

Port 2: Loreto


The travel guide said Loreto receives only five days of clouds, and we seemed to dock on one of those days. I considered us lucky.


We strolled the Malecon and found our way to the little strip that formed the tourist section.


I almost felt bad for delighting in how picturesque the old, worn buildings were.


The mission in the center of town was a striking example of 17th-century architecture. Loreto was the first settlement in Baja California, and the church was built in 1697.


We saw this striking contrast more than once. In such an isolated place, I can imagine how vital it must seem to be connected.


We had some wonderful fish tacos and guacamole at a little restaurant. This was the appetizer.


Vendors were everywhere. I almost wish I had spent more of my tourist dollars here.



On the way back to the ship, we spotted a door, just hanging out in a lighthouse. Decoration? Suggestive metaphor?


We reunited with everyone at dinner. Here, with Daniel's brother Josh and his sister-in-law Sarah.

No comments: