Saturday, May 10, 2008

Because a setting sun is not an overt metaphor at all. . .



Thursday night, as I finished packing, I made sure I got a picture of my last Loma sunset of the year. I have a love-hate relationship with finals week. Between the intense cramming and the never-ending good-byes, there's a ton of free time and the impetus for everyone to let everyone else know how much they've meant to each other during the semester. It's a pausing point; all the relationships that have been developing throughout the year culminate in this moment of gratification. We reflect and realize how much we've learned and grown.

At least I did. I was certainly ready to go home; my sister had been texting me all week with enticing promises of a comfortable bed, homemade pizza, and lemon squares. But I have so much to look forward to for the next year. I feel like I am finally beginning to adjust to the rhythm and routine of university life, and I think I have yet another place I consider home.

4 comments:

Daniel Nadal said...

Your "setting sun" reference just called to mind Franklin's comment about Washington's chair at the Constitutional Convention.

And, no, you're not alone in reflection and realization.

Kaitlin said...

That's funny; I thought about the same thing as I wrote it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate the commiseration.

Daniel Nadal said...

Are you going to continue to post over the summer?

Kaitlin said...

Yeah, I think I will. My grandma likes to keep up with what we're doing, and I love chronicling the minutiae of my life, so . . .