Monday, May 5, 2008

Wrapping up.

I made the most of my last weekend of the year, biking to OB on Saturday to meet some girls from my hall for sunning and strolling and peering at hermit crabs in tide pools. They weren't so enthusiastic about swimming, so I took a brief but giddily refreshing dip in the water while they watched me onshore, dry but not nearly as ecstatic, I'm sure.

My dad came down for a pre-emptive carload of my less essential possessions, so we had dinner together Saturday night. Sunday, my biologist friend and I went out to lunch after church. That was my first good-bye for the year. That afternoon, I went in early to the newspaper. I'm officially going to be copyeditor next year, so I took on more responsibility this week. The paper was also twice as long as a normal issue, this week being commencement, so there was a lot to do.



I wrote an article on LEAD Week, nothing terribly interesting, but it needed to be written, so I took it. I was just glad to get a commencement byline.



Our news editor's story on the new furniture policy preceeded mine, with an excellent Facebook graphic depicting the controversy that is being hashed out on the site everyone checks multiple times a day. Utilized effectively, Facebook, my demographic's main point of web entry, could be the venue for an unprecedented interchange of ideas and more comprehensive, encompassing modes of communication. The majority of it may just be silly social sites, but the potential is there, as evidenced by the discussion above.

That she tied the Internet with print so appropriately is also remarkable. I can't say for sure where newspapers as a breed are going, but embracing technology, rather than balking at it fearfully, is absolutely necessary if papers want to remain at all relevant.

Sunday evening I took a break from editing to attend my Honors Comp final, which wasn't a final at all, but rather a day-early fiesta. We ate burritos and munched on chips while our classmates read aloud pieces they'd written this semester. Super low-key, super enjoyable, super not a comprehensive exam.

Afterwards, I went back to the newsroom, where I stuck it out until eleven. I found out today some of the editors didn't leave until four or five this morning. Yikes. But at least the paper looks great . . .

No comments: