Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First day of school (trial run).

No classes yet, but my first day back was busy enough without them. In the morning, I declared my writing minor, and since '08-'09 will be its debut appearance, I had to switch catalogues. I also filled out an authorization form that officially recommences my TA position. Having originally dressed for the newspaper staff's afternoon team-building activity, I ran back to the dorm midmorning to change into interview-casual after making an appointment with the secretary of the Wesleyan Center and realizing that my cargo shorts and hiking boots weren't going to cut it. They were looking for a temporary receptionist, and while I couldn't help them in that area because of my library hours, they expressed interest in contacting me to assist with their publications, which come out through the Point Loma Press. I'd love to be able to work with them in the future, so we'll see.

I made some phone calls for the newspaper articles I'm writing this week, but mostly got answering machines. I killed some time before lunch by finding a blog tutorial and crocheting a flower to adorn my lamp. The rest of the day involved a bus ride to UCSD, challenging comfort zones, learning about ourselves, fostering community-building, and climbing a giant Alpine Tower. The last part was great—I almost made it to the top, but was foiled by the very elementary school gym class knotted rope at the end. I'm kind of lacking in upper-body strength, but I was okay with it. Halfway up I started to get that panicky I'm-really-high-off-the-ground feeling; I don't know if standing on top of a super-high wooden platform would have done anything to assuage that.

No comments: